Friday, November 6, 2009

Welcome to the the World!

You are finally here! Actually you are already a week old now, I've just been too busy loving on you to write much. This has been the most amazing, fun, emotional, scary, and tough 7 days of my life. Daddy and I can't believe how much we love you and how amazing you are.
I guess I should start at the begining...
Labor and Delivery:
We went to Mountain View Hosital at 6:00am on Sunday, November 1st. We were scheduled to be induced because you hadn't even tried to make your appearance before then. We were checked in to the hospital and hooked up to all of the IV's and "pit" by 7:00 and then the waiting game began. At about 8:30 they had to shut the "pit" off because contractions were coming too close together and your body was being put through too much stress. I was a little worried that you weren't going to be ok, but the nurse (who's name was Tammie and she was fantastic) didn't seem to be too concerned and said that everything should be fine. Then at 9 the doctor decided that it was time to break my water...that had to be one of the weirdest senseations ever, but as soon as that happened my contractions started getting regular and by about 9:20 we were back on the "pit". From 10 to 11 my contractions were getting stronger and more close together and at 11:15 I was only dialted to a 3...but I was 80% effaced and ready for my epidural (call me a wuss but I wasn't going to go through more pain that I had to). The anesthesiologist was really great. The epidural was a longer and a slightly more uncomfortable situation than I had anticipated, in fact, Pappa started feeling light headed and had to leave the room for a second. But as soon as the drug was running through my system I felt great. Daddy, Grandpa Kevin and I tried to keep ourselves busy for the next few hours by watching TV, talking, and playing handheld video games, but time seemed to be crawling. When the nurse came back in to check me at 1:30 I was only dialated to a 4 so she decided to up my "pit" to make things progress a little faster, and it must have worked because before 2 I was already dialated to a 6 and at about 2:30 I was at a 9! And at 3 I was informed that I was at a 10 and ready to push! Daddy and I were both a little nervous, but I knew that I could do it and we had faith that you would be ok. I had to do about 10 sets of pushes and the whole time daddy was there holding my hand and watching for you to arrive. At 3:23 you were born and Pappa and I were immediatley overwhelmed with love and amazement for you and for eachother.
Your First Hours:
As soon as you were born there was famiy behind the curtain waiting to meet you. They had to wait a few minuets so that you could be cleaned up and the doctor could finish up with me. As soon as you were clean daddy brought you over to see me and let me hold you. You were super bruised and swolen but I was in love

The rest of the night you had vistors. Family and friends came and went, and daddy gave you your first bath
and he did a fantastic job. The whole day was so exciting and super exausting, but I didn't want to sleep because I would have to stop holding you and looking and you, so we stayed up till about 1:00 the next morning. We finally decided to put you down and try to sleep...and then at 2:00am a nurse came in and told us that they needed us to switch rooms. So we packed everything up and we moved to a room down the hall. We were up with you or because the nurses were checking in on us the rest of the night, so we didn't sleep much. It was the best day or our lives.
The rest of your first week:
It has been a crazy week with you. You have had visitors almost every day and daddy and I have been doing our best to get used to being parents. I have been peed on more than once this week and we had you circumcised on November 5th. I felt awful about the pain that we put you through but daddy promised me that you would be happy about it later in life. That night I had my first breakdown since you were born...I was changing your diaper and you were extra fussy (you hate having your diaper changed), you were flailing and bleeding...I couldn't get the job done. I was feeling like an awful mommy and I started bawling. I was glad that pappa was there to help finish changing you and to calm me down. I've gotten better throughout the week with a few things...and daddy has been amazing. You are a fantastic sleeper (you only wake up about twice through the night), and you are great at eating too. We just love every tiny inch of you. Daddy has to go back to work tomorrow (he's had the whole week off to be with us), and we are super sad about it...I'm gonna miss him being around and he's going to miss you a lot.
Well that's the story of your birth and your fist week...I'm so lookng forward to the many weeks ahead. I love you so much and I'm so proud to be your mom.
I love you little man!!
Love-

3 comments:

Chris & Stephanie said...

What a great post. I am so happy you have Stone finally here and you were able to spend the entire first week as a complete family. This is when you wish you were independently wealthy and you could just stay home with him forever.

Leslie said...

So great to hear about his arrival! (Your mom called us that night and I was so excited for you). I can't wait to see more pictures. He only wakes twice a night? Let's hope that lasts. Sending you lots of love!
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Love the story and the pictures, but I'm not sure you're allowed to look that skinny the first week. It makes the rest of us feel bad you know.
Congratulations.